Second Level Navigation
You are here:
Apply for a birth certificate
How to Apply
To apply in person, you need to download and complete a birth certificate application form, then bring the form and your payment and proof of identity documents to a Service Centre to have them certified.
Turnaround times vary depending on how you apply.
Make sure you:
- Fill out the whole application form.
- Submit all required proof of identity documents (see the application form or proof of identity page for more details).
- Online or mail: Submit certified photocopies of each document. See the proof of identity page for advice on how to get your photocopies certified.
- In person: If you are attending the Registry's Customer Service Centre, bring the original identity documents with you. If you are submitting your application at a Justice Service Centre (JSC), bring both the original documents and photocopies of the original documents so that they can be certified. Find your nearest JSC
- Online: Visa or MasterCard.
- Mail: Visa, MasterCard, money order or bank cheque.
- In person: Cash, EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, money order or bank cheque.
About birth certificates
You can use a standard birth certificate as a proof of identity document for official purposes, such as claiming government benefits, enrolling a child in childcare or school, or getting a passport or driver licence.
We can only issue a birth certificate once the birth is registered in Victoria.
If you or your child was born outside Victoria, contact the Registry office of the state, territory or country where the birth happened.
New parents note. We do not automatically issue a birth certificate when you register your child's birth. To get your child's birth certificate, make sure you fill out Part Two of the Birth Registration Statement (provided by your hospital or midwife) and provide payment.
We recommend you keep all Registry-issued documents safe and secure