Second Level Navigation
You are here:
Apply for a death certificate
Due to maintenance between 8:00am and 9:00am on Tuesday 31 May 2016, you will not be able to apply for certificates or purchase images, search historical indexes or popular baby names, or upload data. We apologise for any inconvenience.
About death certificates
Most of the time you will not need to apply for a death certificate. Instead, a funeral director will apply for a standard death certificate on your behalf when you organise the funeral.
We offer two types of death certificates:
We can only issue a death certificate once the death is registered in Victoria.
If the death happened outside Victoria, contact the Registry office of the state, territory or country where the death occurred.
We recommend you keep all Registry-issued documents safe and secure.
How to apply
The easiest and most efficient way to apply for a death certificate, where you are next of kin, is to apply online (external link).
You can also apply by mail, or in person at our Melbourne Customer Service Centre (CSC) or at selected Victorian Justice Service Centres (JSCs). To apply by mail or in person, you will need to download and complete a death certificate application form.
Turnaround times vary depending on how you apply.
Make sure you:
- Fill out the whole application form.
- Submit all required proof of identity documents (see the application form or proof of identity page for more details).
- Online or mail: Submit certified photocopies of each document. See the proof of identity page for advice on how to get your photocopies certified.
- In person: If you are attending the BDM Service Centre, bring the original identity documents with you. If you are submitting your application at a Justice Service Centre (JSC), bring both the original documents and photocopies of the original documents so that they can be certified. Find your nearest JSC.
- Provide the required application fee. You can pay by:
- Online: Visa or MasterCard.
- Mail: Visa, MasterCard, money order or bank cheque.
- In person: EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, money order or bank cheque. Cash is not accepted.