Second Level Navigation
You are here:
Apply for a marriage certificate
How to apply
The easiest and most efficient way to apply for your marriage certificate is to apply online (external link).
You can also apply by mail, or in person at our Melbourne Customer Service Centre (CSC) or at selected Victorian Justice Service Centres (JSCs). To apply by mail or in person, you will need to download and complete a marriage certificate application form.
Turnaround times vary depending on how you apply.
Make sure you:
- Fill out the whole application form.
- Submit all required proof of identity documents (see the application form or proof of identity page for more details).
- Online or mail: Submit certified photocopies of each document. See the proof of identity page for advice on how to get your photocopies certified.
- In person: Submit either original proof of identity documents or certified photocopies.
- Provide the required application fee. You can pay by:
- Online: Visa or MasterCard.
- Mail: Visa, MasterCard, money order or personal cheque.
- In person: Cash, EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, money order or personal cheque.
About marriage certificates
You can use a standard marriage certificate as proof of your wedding for official purposes, such as changing your name on a passport or driver licence.
We can only issue a marriage certificate once the marriage is registered in Victoria.
If you were married outside Victoria, contact the Registry office of the state, territory or country where the marriage happened.
We recommend you keep all Registry-issued documents safe and secure.