You are here:

Apply for a marriage certificate

There is a planned outage on Sunday 25 June from 8:30am to 10:30am due to maintenance activity.

During this time you will not be able to access our online services.

We apologise for the inconvenience.

There was a problem submitting your request, please try again later.


How to apply

Apply online, then submit certified copies of your proof of identity documents by mail, or in person at a Service Centre

To apply in person, you need to download and complete a marriage certificate application form, then bring the form and your payment and proof of identity documents to a Service Centre to have them certified.

Turnaround times vary depending on how you apply.


Application checklist

Make sure you:

  • Fill out the whole application form.
  • Submit all required proof of identity documents (see the application form or page for more details).
    • Online or mail: Submit certified photocopies of each document. See the proof of identity page for advice on how to get your photocopies certified.
    • In person: If you are attending the Registry's Customer Service Centre, bring the original identity documents with you. If you are submitting your application at a Justice Service Centre (JSC), bring both the original documents and photocopies of the original documents so that they can be certified. Find your nearest JSC.
Provide the required application fee. You can pay by:
    • Online: Visa or MasterCard.
    • Mail: Visa, MasterCard, money order or bank cheque (no international bank cheques).
    • In person: EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, money order or bank cheque (no international bank cheques). Cash is not accepted.


About marriage certificates

You can use a standard marriage certificate as proof of your wedding for official purposes, such as changing your name on a passport or driver licence.

We can only issue a marriage certificate once the marriage is registered in Victoria.

If you were married outside Victoria, contact the Registry office of the state, territory or country where the marriage happened.

We recommend you keep all Registry-issued documents safe and secure.