You are here:

Correct a marriage

To correct information relating to a marriage, you must submit an Application to correct the register and return all original marriage certificates issued by the Registry.

You must also provide certified copies of both proof of identity and documented evidence of the correct details. 

Common correction requirements include:



Evidence required to support the correction


Bride or Groom (family name or given names)


Birth certificate or overseas passport relevant to the name(s)


Parents' names


Birth certificate relevant to the name(s)


Date or place of birth


Australian or overseas birth certificate, or overseas passport



If the Registry holds evidence for the correction of a Victorian event (e.g a birth), you do not need to provide the certificate as evidence. Simply provide details of the registered event.

There is no fee to correct information held on the register.

The Registry will not correct any part of the registered person's name, whereby a different name or identity may be created.

Submit your documents:

By mail: GPO Box 4332, Melbourne VIC 3001

In person: Ground Floor, 595 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria or at selected Justice Service Centres