Second Level Navigation
- Apply for a marriage certificate
- Victorian Marriage Registry
- Getting married
- Overseas weddings
- Correct a marriage certificate
- Civil celebrants
- Marriages FAQs
- Victorian Marriage Registry FAQs
- Overseas weddings FAQs
- Change of name
- Family history
- Koori services
You are here:
Victorian Marriage Registry FAQs
Contact the Registry via email at firstname.lastname@example.org You will need to provide the bride and groom's full names, your daytime telephone number, the date and time of the existing wedding and your preferred new date and time. We will contact you if your preferred new date and time are not available.
You will need to pay an administrative fee when changing the date or time of your wedding. This fee varies depending on how much advance notice you give.
Send the Registry a signed letter via email at email@example.com (attach a scanned copy of your signed letter). You will need to provide the bride and groom's full names, your daytime telephone number and the date and time of your wedding.
If you cancel your wedding 45 days or more before your wedding date, you will receive a partial refund of your booking fee (minus an administrative fee).
If you cancel your wedding less than 45 days before your wedding date, the whole booking fee is forfeited.
Yes! You are welcome to incorporate you own additional vows, reading and music to fit in with our standard marriage ceremony. All preferences should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org at lease two weeks before your ceremony.
- Your vows cannot be more than 150 words each and must include “I call upon the persons here present to witness that I (Bride/Groom) take thee (Bride/Groom) to be my lawful wedded (wife/husband).
- You may provide a short reading or poem (no more than 150 words) to be read by a family member or friend on the day.
- The venue has a CD player, headphone and Bluetooth connectivity. You may choose any as per your preference. We do however recommend a CD as it is much simpler and easier to operate.
- A ring ceremony is optional. Please note, we do not provide rings or ring cushions for couples.
- If you are getting married in the Margaret Craig Room you also have the option to walk down the isle. The Thomas Hyde Room does not have the space to accommodate this preference.
On your wedding day you will receive a certificate known as the 'party certificate'. This certificate is for your own records. The party certificate may not be accepted as proof of marriage for official purposes, such as updating your driver licence or passport to your married name.
If you need a certificate as official proof of your marriage, you should apply for a marriage certificate. If you book your ceremony in person, we will accept your application for a certificate at the same time, and mail the certificate to you after your wedding. Otherwise, you will receive an application form on your wedding day.
You can apply for your standard marriage certificate any time after your wedding ceremony.