Second Level Navigation
You are here:
Book your ceremony
To make a booking with the Victorian Marriage Registry, you need to complete the following four steps:
- Complete the Notice of Intended Marriage form (NOIM).
- Fill out the Victorian Marriage Registry booking form.
- Have your proof of identity documents certified by a qualified witness.
- Lodge your forms with the Registry.
Helpful hints for completing your NOIM
- You must submit your NOIM at least one calendar month before your preferred date of marriage.
- Your NOIM is valid for 18 months after you have lodged it, you may be married any time during that period.
- You and your partner must list your conjugal status as either:
- never validly married
- divorced (dates and documentation of your divorce must be provided)
- widow/widower (documentation of the deceased must be provided).
- Both you and your partner must sign the NOIM in front of a qualified witness before submitting the form.
- In Australia, the qualified witnesses are:
- an authorised marriage celebrant
- a Justice of the Peace
- a barrister or solicitor
- a legally qualified medical practitioner
- a member of the Australian Federal Police or State/Territory Police
- Overseas, the qualified witnesses are:
- an Australian Consular Officer
- an Australian Diplomatic Officer
- a Notary Public.
- In Australia, the qualified witnesses are:
- Please note pharmacists or dentists are not qualified witnesses.
- All particulars to be completed by the celebrant are to be left blank, the Registry completes these details for you upon receipt of your documentation.
Proof of identity documents
- You and your partner must submit certified copies of your proof of identity documents. For information on how to provide certified photocopies click here.
- You will both need to provide either of the following:
- An official birth certificate and drivers licence
- A current Australian or Foreign passport showing the date and place of birth of the person.
- If you are unable to obtain a copy of your birth certificate or provide a current passport, you will need to complete a statutory declaration. The statutory declaration must include:
- why it is not possible to obtain an official birth certificate or extract
- where the individual was born (country, state and city)
- when the individual was born (full date dd/mm/yyyy)
- the individuals’ parents' full names, including mother's maiden name.
- If any documents provided are not written in English, you will need to have the documents translated by an authorised translator. The NAATI website has a list of translators you are able to use.
Tips for making a booking
- All bookings are subject to availability.
- Use block letters and ensure your contact number and email address are legible.
- Remember that there must be a minimum of 30 days between the date we receive your compliant paperwork and the date of your marriage
- We recommend making a booking three months in advance, particularly when booking during peak times.
- If your first three preferences are unavailable, the Registry will contact you by email with alternate times and dates.
Please note, we are unable to make a booking for you if your documents are not fully completed.
Submitting your documents
Once you have completed your NOIM, booking form and had photocopies of your proof of identity documents certified you are ready to lodge your forms with us.
Victorian Marriage Registry
GPO Box 4332, Melbourne VIC 3001
Victorian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
Ground Floor, 595 Collins Street, Melbourne
Between 8am and 12pm
(Please note, you do not need to make a booking to lodge your documents)
What is next?
Once your paperwork has been received, it will be checked. If any documents or details are missing, we will contact you using the email address you provided and ask you to provide the necessary documentation.
After your paperwork has been approved, we will make a booking according to your preferences. If there are no available bookings on your given preferences, we will email you with alternative times and dates. It generally takes 5 business days from the time we receive your paperwork to make a booking. Payment will taken at time of booking.
Once a booking has been made, a formal confirmation will be emailed to you. This email is sent between 3 to 5 business days after the booking is made.
If you have not received confirmation of your booking or you are having difficulties with your booking please contact our Customer Service Centre or send an email enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org