Second Level Navigation
- Register a relationship
- Apply for a relationship certificate
- Commemorative relationship certificates
- Revoke a relationship
- Withdraw an application
- Correct a registered relationship
- Relationship access policy
- Relationships FAQs
- Change of name
- Family history
- Koori services
You are here:
Apply for a relationship certificate
How to apply
You can also apply by mail, or in person at our Melbourne Customer Service Centre (CSC) or at selected Victorian Justice Service Centres (JSCs). To apply by mail or in person, you will need to download and complete a domestic relationship certificate application form or a caring relationship certificate application form. You can request a form by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Turnaround times vary depending on how you apply.
Make sure you:
- Fill out the whole application form.
- Submit all required proof of identity documents (see the application form or proof of identity page for more details).
- Online or mail: Submit certified photocopies of each document. See the proof of identity page for advice on how to get your photocopies certified.
- In person: If you are attending the Registry's Customer Service Centre, bring the original identity documents with you. If you are submitting your application at a selected Justice Service Centre (JSC), bring both the original documents and photocopies of the original documents so that they can be certified. To find your nearest JSC go to bdm.vic.gov.au/jsc
- Online: Visa or MasterCard.
- Mail: Visa, MasterCard, money order or bank cheque.
- In person: EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, money order or bank cheque.
About relationship certificates
You can use a standard relationship certificate as proof of your relationship for legal and other official purposes.
We can only issue a relationship certificate if we have registered the relationship in Victoria.
We recommend you keep all Registry-issued documents safe and secure.