You are here:

Correct a registered relationship

To correct information relating to a registered relationship, you must submit an Application to correct the register and return all original certificates held for the event.

You must also provide certified copies of both proof of identity and documented evidence of the correct details. 

Common correction requirements include:



Evidence required to support correction


Any name displayed on the certificate


Australian born: Birth certificate relevant to the name(s)

Overseas born: Citizenship certificate or Australian visa relevant to the name(s)


Date or place of birth


Australian or overseas birth certificate, or overseas passport



If the Registry holds evidence for the correction of a Victorian event (e.g a birth), you do not need to provide the certificate as evidence. Simply provide details of the registered event.

There is no fee to correct information held on the register.

You can find further information in the Correction FAQs.

Submit your documents:

By mail: GPO Box 4332, Melbourne VIC 3001

In person: Ground Floor, 595 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria or at selected Justice Service Centres