You can change your child's name if they are:

  • Under 18 years of age
  • Born in Victoria or,
  • Born overseas and living in Victoria for at least the last 12 months.

If your child was born in another state, apply to the Registry in that state or territory (External link).

In most cases, both parents on the birth certificate need to complete the application. If a child is over 12 years of age, they also need to sign the application, as consent to the change of name.

Once your child's name has been changed, you can use the new certificate to update all your child's identity documents and records with their new name, including passport, bank account and school enrolment.

What we need from you

We'll ask you for the following information during the application process:

1. Your details

At minimum, you'll be asked to provide:

  • Your child's name, date of birth and place of birth
  • Your name and address
  • Name and address of the second parent (if applicable)
  • A clear reason for the change of name
  • Your child's previous name history.

2. Your chosen name

  • Chosen first name
  • Chosen family name.

Generally, we accept most names that parents choose for their child. However, both parents need to agree on the name and there are some names that aren't allowed. See Naming your child.

3. Proof of your identity

Each parent must prove their identity by providing certified copies of both:

  • 1 document that shows both your photo and your signature, such as a passport (Australian or overseas) or driver licence. If you can't provide this document, complete Part Nine of the form (Guarantor).
  • 2 documents that demonstrate you live in the community, such as Medicare cards or credit cards.

Refer to the application form for a full list of the documents accepted.

4. Proof of parentage

If your child was born in Victoria, an original birth certificate is all you need.

If your child was born overseas, see Proof of parentage tab.

5. Proof of your child's residency (if born overseas)

If your child was born overseas, you'll be asked to provide proof that they have the right to live in Australia and that they've been living in Victoria for at least the last 12 months before your application. The documents that you can use to do this are covered in the application form.

Proof of parentage

To prove you are the parent of the child, provide the following:

Child born in Victoria

Your child's birth certificate (original).

Child born overseas now living in Victoria

Preferred evidence

  • Your child’s birth certificate (with an official translation if the original isn't in English)
  • Adoption papers that include the name of the child and the child’s legal parents.

Alternative evidence

  1. A Statutory Declaration of parentage of the child from both applicants AND
  2. One item from List A or two for each applicant from List B.

In total, both parents need at least two documents that state their names as parent of the child.

List A List B
  • A full Australian birth certificate of a younger sibling of the child
  • Overseas birth certificate of a younger sibling of the child.

The birth certificate must name the applicants as parents and the child as ‘previous issue’.

These documents must be provided in the original and must name the applicant/s as the parent/s of the child:

  • Medicare card or Centrelink card or a travel document issued by Department of Immigration and Border Protection (for example, Visa, or Document For Travel To Australia (DFTTA). Note: Only one of these items can be used in support of each applicant. The second source of evidence must come from the other items in this list.
  • parent’s citizenship certificate
  • parent’s passport
  • child’s passport
  • baptismal or other religious certificates
  • official hospital record (with official translation if original not in English)
  • a letter from the child’s school, the child’s doctor, a maternal and child health nurse clinic or a religious leader stating that the applicants have functioned as parents of the child during the six months immediately before the application
  • registration or identity document issued by a recognised provider of international refugee protection such as the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) or International Organisation of Migration (IOM)
  • a written statement on official letterhead from a settlement or case worker in Australia who is employed by a Humanitarian Settlement Services (HSS) provider, Status Resolution Support Services (SRSS) provider, Settlement Services Program (SSP), or from a case manager from a Complex Case Support Program (CCS) confirming that the applicants have functioned as parents of the child during the six months immediately before the application.

Re-use of documents by both parents

If a document names:

  • Both applicants as parents of the child, it can be used by both applicants, for example, a baptismal certificate naming both applicants as parents of the child.
  • Only one parent, it can be used only by that parent as evidence of their parental relationship, for example, a Medicare card that lists only one parent with the name of the child. The other parent will need alternate evidence from list B above (for example, their citizenship certificate, if it lists the child by name).

Applications from one parent

We can only accept applications from one parent if:

  • Only one parent is named on the child's birth certificate
  • the other parent named on the child's birth certificate is deceased (provide a certified copy of the death certificate as proof).
  • the County Court of Victoria, the Family Court of Australia or the Federal Circuit Court issues a court order stating that your child's current name is to be changed to the new name (provide a certified copy of the court order as proof).

Applications from a legal guardian

If you're the child's legal appointed guardian, and not the child's birth parent, you need to provide proof, as well as either:

  • Proof that the parents can't be located
  • Proof that the parents are deceased, or
  • A court order instructing us to change the child's name without the parents' consent.

You may have to provide additional documents. Contact us for more advice.

What you receive

If your child was born in Victoria

You get a birth certificate showing your child's name at birth and your child's new name. A history of the changes will also be shown on the back of the certificate.

The certificate is valid for all legal and official purposes.

If your child was born overseas

You get a 'Change of name' certificate showing your child's name at birth and your child's new name. A history of the changes will also be shown on the back of the certificate.

The certificate is valid for all legal and official purposes.

Processing and delivery

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

Processing start date Processing time Pick up/delivery
Date received

Full application
with eligibility and
proof of identity documents

20 days

Standard processing

5 days

Priority assessment (additional fee)

595 Collins Street


6 days
Australia post

  Track the progress of your certificate

Additional copies

If you applied for more than one copy of a certificate, each will be posted separately for security reasons, unless you asked for them to be sent by Registered Post.

We'll post them all on the same day, but bear in mind that Australia Post may deliver them on different days.

Fees and payment

Registration and certificate fees

Change of Name Registration + Certificate Priority assessment (optional)
$107.90 + $120


  • Registration fee: $74.90 (non-refundable)
  • Standard Certificate: $33.00
  • Additional fee
  • Non-refundable
  • Application assessed in 5 days

Postage fees

Shipping fees cannot be refunded if you decide to collect your certificate(s) in person.

Postage - see Australia Post (External link) for product details Price


Standard post/Handling $1.00

Registered post (Standard)

Note: We do no send commemorative certificates by Registered post.


Express post


  • We do not send commemorative certificates by Express post.
  • This is not a priority service fee - standard Turnaround times still apply.

Outside Australia

Airmail (Standard post) $3.70
Express Courier International $52.80

Check the Payment methods we accept.