You can apply to add or remove details of a parent on a child's birth certificate, even if the birth was initially registered without it.
When you apply, you'll need to provide:
- Your own proof of identity
- original certificates showing incorrect information
- evidence of correct information (as outlined below).
A fee of $74.90 applies.
If the original birth certificate is returned, we issue a replacement certificate free of charge. If the original isn't returned, you can apply for a replacement at an additional cost of $33.00.
To add the biological father's details
- The mother, father and child (if over 18) all need to complete an application for subsequent registration of a child's father.
- Include a certified copy of the results of the DNA-based parentage test (paternity test) approved by National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA)
If you want to change your child's name to reflect the birth father's name, you need to make a separate application. Refer to Change your child's name.
To remove the father's name (if incorrect)
To remove the name of the father if they've been incorrectly named as the biological father:
- Complete an application to correct the register. (The $74.90 is waived in this instance.)
- Provide evidence that the father named on the certificate isn't the child's biological father, such as:
- DNA-based parentage test (paternity test) approved by National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA)
- Court order declaring the identity of the child's biological father.
- Court order declaring that the registered father is not the biological father.
To add the birth mother's female partner's name
- Put both your names on the Birth Registration Statement (BRS) when you register the child's birth.
- If the birth certificate doesn't name a father, complete a Registration of mother's female partner form to amend the birth certificate
- if the birth certificate names a father, apply to the County Court of Victoria for a court order to amend the birth certificate to show the mother's female partner as the parent.
To remove the birth mother's female partner's name
Contact us for advice.