In Victoria, if you've had sex affirmation surgery, you can apply to have your change of sex recognised.
Victorian law has changed, to remove the requirement for a person to be unmarried before applying to change the record of their sex.
From 12 October 2018 you will not have to be unmarried to apply to change the record of your sex.
If you were born in Victoria:
- You can apply to change the record of your sex on your birth certificate. Your birth certificate:
- Will not show any history of changes to your record of sex
- Will not state that your record of sex has been changed
- Will not state your former name (if any)
If you weren't born in Victoria, currently live in Victoria, and have lived in Victoria for the past 12 months:
- You can apply for a recognised details certificate that acknowledges your name and sex. Your recognised details certificate:
- Will not show your former sex
- Will not show your former name (if any).
To be eligible, you need to:
- Be unmarried (this requirement will no longer apply from 12 October 2018)
- Be 18 or older
- Have undergone sex affirmation surgery, as defined by the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1996:
- 'Sex affirmation surgery’ is a 'surgical procedure involving the alteration of a person's reproductive organs carried out for the purpose of assisting the person to be considered to be a member of the opposite sex'.
How to apply
To apply for a change of sex on either a birth certificate or a Recognised Details certificate, you need to:
- Complete an alteration of sex application form
- Prove your identity
- Provide either:
- Two statutory declaration forms (included in the alteration of sex application form) from separate medical practitioners verifying that you have had sex affirmation surgery, or
- A current interstate recognition certificate issued under the law of that state that identifies you as being of a particular sex.
Born in Victoria:
Change the record of sex on your birth certificate
Apply for a recognised details certificate
Check the Payment methods we accept.