Ask the Registrar to review their decision

You can write to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages (the Registrar) to ask for a review of their decision. When writing to the Registrar, you should set out why you believe the Registrar should change their decision. You can do this online through BDM’s feedback form or mail your letter to:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria

Attn: The Registrar

GPO Box 4332


The Registrar will take into account the information or reasons you give before advising you of whether they will review or confirm their decision.

Apply to VCAT for a review of the Registrar’s decision

If you are not satisfied with the Registrar’s decision you can also apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) (External link) for a review of the Registrar’s decision. You must make your application to VCAT within 28 days of the Registrar making their decision.

Contact details for VCAT are: 

55 King Street

Telehone (03) 9628 9755

Fax (03) 9628 9891