The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDM) works hard to provide services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in ways that meet community needs.
This section has information about:
- Why it is important to register a birth and get a birth certificate
- Getting help with certificate fees (Koori Access Fund)
- How organisations can work with us to meet community needs
- How BDM can help Koori people access culturally-sensitive services
- Why we ask our customers to let us know if they are Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- The Coolamon Strategy – our plan for strengthening services to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
BDM’s Koori Relationships Officer helps customers to access our services when needed.
To contact us, email BDMIndigenousAccess@justice.vic.gov.au .
Family history and stolen generations
Members of Victoria’s Stolen Generations and those affected by it may have difficulty tracing their family history.
Aboriginal Victoria has a range of resources and services to help in understanding your history.
Link-Up Victoria provides support to Stolen Generations to find their family and for family to find members who are Stolen Generations.
The Koorie Heritage Trust provides members of the Stolen Generations and their descendants with knowledge of their family tree, family history, culture and community.