Strong identity, strong spirit is a campaign to:
- improve access to BDM services
- increase birth registration and birth certificate possession within Victoria’s Aboriginal communities.
BDM works to host events in communities across Victoria. We do this in partnership with:
- Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations (ACCOs)
- Other Aboriginal service providers.
At these events, BDM’s Aboriginal Outreach Team provide culturally-sensitive BDM services to Aboriginal customers. This team includes our Aboriginal Relationships Officer.
If you'd like the team to visit your community, please fill in our request form.
Results so far
Since October 2017, BDM has attended over 85 community events. These events helped Aboriginal community members to access BDM services. This work resulted in:
- Over 450 birth certificates issued to children and adults; and
- Over 75 births registered for children of all ages.
Partner with us to deliver BDM services directly to your community
For community events, we partner with:
- Aboriginal community-controlled organisations (ACCOs)
- Specialist service providers (e.g. child and family support services).
We also develop information resources and processes to support partnerships with:
- peak bodies and advocates
- government agencies
- pro bono lawyers.
If your organisation is interested in working with BDM, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Campaign resources for stakeholders
You can download resources, including flyers, posters and social media tiles, to help promote the importance of birth registration and birth certificates in your community.
About the photos on this page
Top photo: Ruby Tilbrook (Wardandi & Bibbilmun). Photo by Michael Jalaru Torres (Djugun & Yawuru).
Middle photo: BDM Aboriginal Relationships Officer Morgan Rudd (Yorta Yorta) attending the Elizabeth Morgan House Aboriginal Women’s Service Inc, 2021.
Bottom photo: BDM Aboriginal Relationships Officer Jessica Dudley (Wardandi & Bibbilmun) and Gunditjmara Elder Aunty Nancy Peart (née Clarke) at the Billabong BBQ event, Collingwood, 2019.