In Victoria, you can register a caring relationship between two adults who aren't a couple and who may be related by family if:
- You're both at least 18 years old
- One party lives in Victoria
- You're not married to each other, a couple, in a relationship that's already registered or in another relationship that could be registered.
How to register
To register your relationship, both parties need to:
- Complete a caring relationship registration form
- Provide proof of identity
- Supply evidence that each has sought independent legal advice from separate legal practitioners (download a sample legal practitioners certificate for your legal practitioner to complete).
By law, it takes at least 28 calendar days to register a caring relationship from the date we receive a complete and valid application.
A non-refundable registration fee of $222.50 applies. The fee does not include a certificate.