Interim cause of death forms
BDM put interim arrangements in place from 14 to 19 February 2019 (inclusive). This was to ensure that medical certificate of cause of death (MCCD) notifications could be submitted while BDM was upgrading its online systems.
Interim arrangements have ended. For enquiries about interim forms, contact us and provide details of your enquiry.
Paper death registration forms
BDM will continue to accept paper forms until February 2020.
Copies of the cause of death certificate
Medical practitioners still need to leave a printed copy of the cause of death certificate (MCCD/MCCPD) with the body for funeral directors. They cannot charge a fee for this.
Funeral directors cannot access the cause of death from their accounts.
- What displays on the death certificate
- Relationship at time of death
- If the family is unsure of a name
- Children's surname
- Disposal details
- Attach supporting documents
- Sort and search for items in the drafts list
- Ordering process
- Fill out the certificate order form
- Interim certificates (for deaths reported to the coroner)
- Order an interim plus a standard
- Cancel a certificate order
- Timeframes for certificate orders
- Submit a death registration
- Submit multiple registrations
- No signature is needed
- Who can pay
- Payment methods
- How to pay
- Pay for multiple certificates
- Verify whether items are paid
- Print a receipt
- How the death is ‘registered’
- Check submitted registrations
- Check certificate orders
- Sort and search for items in the submitted list
- Mistakes on the cause of death
- If there’s a delay with the cause of death
- Request a correction on behalf of the family
- Guide families to request a correction
- Interstate funeral directors
- Interstate deaths
- Overseas deaths (repatriation)
Call us on 1300 369 367 and select Option 3 (service partners). Calls to this option are answered within 15 minutes, and often faster.
Calls to previously used numbers (9613 XXXX) are auto-forwarded to the call centre public queue. Wait times for this queue are longer than 15 minutes.
|Query type||Email address|
Technical issues with the new system (including validation errors in the form)
Account queries (user accounts, passwords, logging in)
Suggestions for improving the system
Death registration, repatriation, certificate enquiries (not related to the new system)