If a child is born through a surrogacy arrangement:
- Surrogate mother (and her partner, if any): register the birth using her/their own details
- Commissioning parents: apply to the County Court of Victoria for a Substitute Parentage Order to change the details on the birth record
You must apply between 28 days and six months after the child's birth.
- The County Court, if it approves the application, will send us the Substitute Parentage Order
- Commissioning parents: when notified by BDM, register the birth, quoting the surrogacy reference number we will send you
- BDM will close the original birth record and create a new one showing the commissioning parent(s) as the child's parent(s).
- Commissioning parents can then order a birth certificate showing the child's new details.
For more information about surrogacy, see the Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority (VARTA) .