The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDM) is involved in some of the most significant moments in the lives of Victorians. We work hard to provide a helpful and empathetic service. We take pride in the records we keep for the Victorian community.
BDM is part of the Department of Justice and Community Safety .
BDM is responsible for:
- Recording all births, adoptions, marriages and deaths in Victoria
- Registering domestic and caring relationships in Victoria
- Registering name changes for people born or living in Victoria
- Registering changes of record of sex for people born or living in Victoria
- Issuing certificates for all the above
- Offering a civil marriage service through the Victorian Marriage Registry.
We offer some of our records to people looking to trace their family history. We provide data to government, universities and medical institutions for research and planning.
A range of legislation, policies and practices govern or inform BDM's operation.
We are committed to the following values and behaviours.
- Website privacy statement
- Privacy and conditions of use for online proof of identity.
Wellbeing and safety
Other registries in Australia
The Births, Deaths and Marriages registries in other states and territories of Australia are: