The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDM) is involved in some of the most significant moments in the lives of Victorians. We work hard to provide a helpful and empathetic service and take pride in the records we keep for you, the Victorian community.
BDM is responsible for:
- Recording all births, adoptions, marriages and deaths in Victoria
- Registering all domestic and caring relationships in Victoria
- Registering name changes for those born or living in Victoria
- Issuing certificates for all the above
- Offering a civil marriage service through the Victorian Marriage Registry.
We offer some of our records to people looking to trace their family history. We also provide data services to government agencies, universities and medical institutions for research and planning.
BDM is part of the Department of Justice and Community Safety .
A range of legislation, policies and practices govern or inform BDM's operation.
BDM is committed to protecting your privacy. Learn more in our:
- Website privacy statement
- Privacy and conditions of use for online proof of identity.
BDM is committed to child safety and wellbeing. Learn more about the:
We have clear expectations for appropriate behaviour around children. This is consistent with the department’s: