You can apply to add a parent's name and/or details to a child's birth certificate, even if the birth was initially registered without them.

When you apply, you'll need to provide:

  • Your own proof of identity
  • Original certificates
  • Evidence of correct information (as outlined below).

A fee of $76.70 applies.

If the original birth certificate is returned, we issue a replacement certificate free of charge. If the original isn't returned, you can apply for a replacement at an additional cost of $33.80.

To add the biological father's details

The mother, father or child (if over 18) must complete an application to add a parent to a birth certificate and include either of the following documents:

  1. A certified copy of the results of a DNA-based parentage test (paternity test) approved by National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) (External link). Learn more about how to digitise and upload hard copy documents, or;
  2. A court order directing us to add a parent to the birth certificate, or;
  3. A court order declaring the identity of the biological father.

If the Mother has listed the Father on the Birth Registration but he hasn't completed parent 2's part of the registration, the addition of the father's details may be considered without DNA-based parentage test results or a court order (dependant on any paternity disputes).

If you want to change your child's name to reflect the birth father's name, you need to make a separate application, after the biological father's details have been added to the birth certificate. Refer to Change your child's name

Both registered parents need to participate in the change of name. We can only accept applications from one parent if; the County Court of Victoria, the Family Court of Australia or the Federal Circuit Court issues a court order stating that your child's current name is to be changed to the new name.

You must provide a certified copy of the court order as proof. Learn more about how to digitise and attach documents.

To add the birth mother's female partner's name

If you're the birth mother's female partner and you want to be included as a parent on the child's birth certificate, you need to have given your consent at the time of the treatment that resulted in the pregnancy.

Then, both partners need to:

For births after 1 January 2010

  • Put both your names on the application when you register the child's birth.
  • Provide evidence that you underwent treatment as a couple or entered into arrangement with a private donor that resulted in pregnancy.

For births before 1 January 2010

  • If the birth certificate doesn't name a father, complete the application to add a parent to a birth certificate and provide evidence that you underwent treatment together. If the partner was included as an informant on the birth registration this will be assessed to see if you need to provide this information again. 
  • If the birth certificate names a father, apply to the County Court of Victoria (External link) for a court order to amend the birth certificate to show the mother's female partner as the parent.