1. Get a NOIM form

You can get a NOIM:

2. Complete the form

On the NOIM, you'll be asked to fill in your conjugal status to show whether you've been married before. Fill in your status as:

Never validly married: if you've never been married or your marriage was annulled. (Don't use 'single' as it doesn't indicate whether you've been married before.)

Divorced: if you've been married and divorced.

Divorce pending: if you have commenced divorce proceedings to end your marriage.

Widowed: if you've been married and your spouse passed away.


Only certain people are authorised to witness the signature of your NOIM. 

Within Australia these include: a justice of the peace, a barrister or solicitor, a legally qualified medical practitioner, a member of the Australian Federal Police or the police force of a State or a Commissioner for Declarations under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959.

Outside Australia: a notary public, an Australian Diplomatic Officer, an Australian Consular Officer, an employee of the Commonwealth of Australia authorised under paragraph 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955 or an employee of the Australian Trade and Investment Commission authorised under paragraph 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955.

If you are getting married at the Victorian Marriage Registry and you submit your documents in person at our offices your NOIM can be witnessed by our State Officers.

3. Lodge the form

Lodge the form:

  • With the celebrant, minister or registrar who'll perform the marriage
  • At least one month before your wedding
  • Up to 18 months before your wedding.

Lodging your NOIM less than a month before your wedding

Under limited, exceptional circumstances, you may be able to marry less than one month after lodging your NOIM.

To do this, you need to apply to shorten the notice period. A $55 assessment fee applies, which is non-refundable even if the shortening isn't granted.

You can apply to:

  • The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDM)
  • Registrars and deputy registrars at major regional Victorian courts.

To apply to BDM, you need to:

  • Have already lodged a NOIM with your celebrant (or are lodging it with the Victorian Marriage Registry).
  • Provide your original signed NOIM and supporting documents, as sighted by your celebrant
  • Meet one of the exceptional circumstances (External link)
  • Complete a Notice shortening application form, which includes a statutory declaration explaining your reason(s) for applying. Contact BDM to access this form. 
  • Provide documents as evidence to support your application, and
  • Provide a signed letter from your celebrant, confirming they're willing and available to perform your marriage on your chosen date if the shortening is granted.