In Victoria, you can register a domestic relationship between two adults who are a couple if:

  • You're both at least 18 years old
  • One party lives in Victoria
  • You're not married, in a relationship that's already registered in Victoria, or in another relationship that could be registered
  • You provide domestic support to each other
  • You're committed to each other both personally and financially.

Immigration and registered relationships

For information about registering your relationship for immigration purposes, contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (External link) 

How to register

To register your relationship: 

  1. Both parties need to:
  2. One of you must 
    • Provide evidence that you live in Victoria – for example, a bank statement showing recent transactions in Victoria. This person should be ‘Applicant one’ when filling in the form.

By law, it takes at least 28 calendar days from the date we receive a complete and valid application to register the relationship.

Once registered, you can apply for a relationship certificate.


A non-refundable registration fee of $222.50 applies. This fee doesn't include a certificate.

Check the Payment methods we accept.

Relationship ceremonies

When registering a domestic relationship in Victoria, you can choose to celebrate it with a ceremony at the Old Treasury Building in Melbourne. See Book your relationship ceremony for more details.

Recognised relationships

From 1 July 2016, relationships formalised in the following jurisdictions (for example, a civil partnership) will be recognised for the purposes of the Relationships Act 2008 as a ‘registered domestic relationship’:

  • Australian Capital Territory
  • New South Wales
  • Queensland
  • Tasmania
  • New Zealand
  • Canada, including Quebec and Nova Scotia
  • Hawaii
  • California
  • New York
  • South Africa
  • the Netherlands
  • the United Kingdom
  • Scotland.
Relationships formalised in other jurisdictions that are not on this list are still considered to be a ‘registered domestic relationship’ under the Relationships Act 2008, if the other jurisdiction’s law provides that the relationship:
  • Must be between two adults who entered into the relationship consensually and are not related by family; and 
  • Must not include a person who is already married or in a relationship formally recognised by that law.
You do not need to register a relationship in Victoria if you have already formalised a relationship in another Australian state or territory or overseas.