The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDM) keeps comprehensive records and statistics for Victoria. We provide this data to a number of organisations, mainly government departments and agencies, research organisations, corporates and universities.
We're happy to consider reasonable data requests on application.
For historic certificates and images visit Search your family history.
How to apply
- Download the Apply for registry data form
- Complete the form, providing as much information as you can about the purpose of the data
- Email your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We'll call you within 24 hours to arrange payment of the application fee over the phone (credit card only)
- Once the fee is paid, we'll assess your request and get in touch with a quote for the data within 14 days.
|Application fee||Data fee|
|$102||Cost varies depending on the scope and complexity of your request.|
There are 3 types of data service we offer:
We can match data you provide against our Death Register. For example, research organisations can data match their health study participants to check whether the participants died.
We can extract data with certain criteria, such as a time period. This service is often used by our strategic partners, such as the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
We can help remove deceased people from a database or patient list. For example, a data cleanse could remove recently deceased people from an annual mail out.
We're regulated by two main pieces of legislation to ensure the privacy and safety of the data we collect: