Registration is free for funeral directors.
To register, you need to provide:
- Your details (name, business name and address, contact details)
- Proof of your identity - details from one identity document issued by an Australian government (e.g. passport or driver licence). You don't need to get certified copies.
We will verify your details and identity before we email you your access details.
You'll need to register even if you used our previous online system, Funeral Directors Online.
Larger organisations where more than one member will submit death registrations will need to nominate a stakeholder representative who will then nominate stakeholder users.
The stakeholder representative will complete the same registration process through the 'Register now' link below.
What you can do online
Our new system for registering life events - Registry Information Online - is now live. This means all BDM products and services are now available online.
Funeral directors can:
- Submit individual death registrations
- Order death certificates and pay individually or in bulk
- Reset your password or be reminded of your username.
Straightforward registrations are processed automatically, giving you faster turnaround times.
Bulk file upload is no longer available for death registration data. However, for even greater efficiency, funeral homes can develop a system-to-system interface to us. (Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information).
If you want a death certificate, you must apply and pay when you submit the death registration.
We accept the following payment methods:
- Credit or debit card (Visa or MasterCard only)
Invoicing is not available.
Meet your legal requirements
Read an overview of the legal requirements for funeral directors.
Certificate turnaround times
Waiting on a certificate? See turnaround times.
Help and instructions
Refer to our step-by-step guide for help with death registrations.
For an overview, watch the video below (subtitles included). You can also read the transcript.