This page provides an overview only of the requirements for marriage celebrants.
For full requirements, refer to relevant legislation including the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1996, Marriage Act 1961 and Marriage Regulations 2017.
As a marriage celebrant, you must:
- Ensure the couple provides the Notice of Intended Marriage no later than one month and no earlier than 18 months before the ceremony (unless they have obtained a shortening of time)
- Within 14 days of the ceremony, provide the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) with the:
- Official certificate of marriage
- Declarations of no legal impediment
- NOIM (together with any supporting documents).
The Attorney-General's 'celebrant resources' page has more information about celebrants' obligations.
To notify the Registrar:
If you need to provide supporting documents (such as statutory declarations), refer to uploading hard copy documents online.