This page is for people applying for a birth certificate only. Not you? Visit online proof of identity for all other certificates and registrations.
Proving your identity online is the fastest way to complete your application. Births Deaths and Marriages cannot control who will be verified, as this is done by an external provider.
Can I prove my identity online?
To prove your identity online you'll need two identity documents. One must have a photo.
The best combination is a passport and driver licence.
How it works
You'll need a smartphone to prove your identity online, even if you start your application on a computer.
It doesn't matter what brand as long as it is less than about 5 years old. You must be able to take a picture of yourself and upload it.
We’ll text you a link to start when you give us your phone number.
1. Take a photo of your first identity document
When prompted, take a photo of your first identity document using your phone. Your first identity document must be one of the following:
- Australian passport (current or expired less than 3 years)
- Current foreign passport (with linked visa)
- Australian birth certificate
2. Scan your face
We’ll match your face to your photo ID. We don’t save this.
3. Take a photo of your second identity document
Your second identity document must be a:
- Current Australian driver licence
- Medicare card (only if you don't have a driver's licence).
If the names on your documents don’t match
If the names on your document don’t match, you’ll also need to show a:
- Change of name certificate, or
- Marriage certificate.
The certificate must be issued by an Australian Births, Deaths and Marriages registry. Documents must be in good condition. Damaged or worn-out documents won't work.