The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDM) keeps information relating to:
- Registered relationships
- Adoption or surrogacy arrangements
- Changes of sex (or recognised details)
- Changes of name.
To protect people’s privacy, access to this information is restricted for specific periods. Certain people and organisations will have valid reasons to access this information kept by BDM within the restricted period. This policy details how BDM protects privacy and enables appropriate access.
This introduction page, and the pages listed below, comprise BDM’s policy on access to information kept by BDM.
- Information is restricted for specific periods
- Who can access restricted information
- What information can be accessed
- How to apply for information
- Applicants must have a reason to access the information
- The Registrar makes a decision about access to information
- How the Registrar’s decision can be reviewed
- Applying for birth certificates or information
- Applying for marriage and registered relationship certificates or information
- Applying for certificates or information about a person who is deceased