Donor-conceived births are births conceived through assisted reproductive technology (ART), including donor conception, self-inseminationsurrogacy and IVF.

Registering a donor-conceived birth

If your child is born in Victoria, you need to register the birth within 60 days by completing a Birth Registration Statement (BRS).

If you've had donor treatment at a Victorian clinic:

  • Complete Step 6 of the BRS.

If you've had donor treatment at an interstate or overseas clinic:

  • Complete Step 6 of the BRS; and
  • Provide confirmation of the treatment on a letterhead from either the doctor who performed the treatment or the clinic where the treatment took place. The letter needs to confirm:
    • The date of treatment
    • Whether Victorian gametes were used in the treatment procedure and
    • Whether you undertook treatment as a single woman, or with a partner and
    • Your full name and the full name of your partner (if applicable).

To complete the BRS, see Register a birth.

Information on birth certificates


Birth certificates don't include donor details – these details are kept on donor registers (see below).

Birth mother's female partner
To add the birth mother's female partner to your child's birth certificate, see Add or remove a parent on a birth certificate.

Previous children
Your child’s birth certificate includes all ‘previous children of the relationship’ including those born to the mother’s female partner.

Relationships that have ended
In most cases, if you and your partner consented to donor treatment together, you're both recorded on the child’s birth certificate, even if the relationship ends. Contact us for further advice.

Donor registers

Information about donors and donor births is kept on donor registers. If you're a donor, a donor-conceived person or their relative, you can apply to access information on the registers by contacting Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority (VARTA) (External link).