A death is ‘registered’ when all the following occur:
- The medical practitioner submits a cause of death certificate
- You submit a death registration statement
- BDM confirms they match.
This may be immediate. If they’re not the same, BDM may contact you or the medical practitioner.
Check submitted registrations
In the top menu, select Death registration statement > Submitted to view a list of all registrations your organisation has submitted to BDM.
Check certificate orders
View the submitted list to check which registrations have certificate orders.
Registrations with certificate orders will display two items in the submitted list. The first item is the registration, and the second item is the certificate order.
Sort and search for submitted items
Click the blue headings in the list to sort by that column.
You can sort by:
- Notification number
- Deceased's name
- Submitted date
- Date of death
Search for items
Enter the deceased's family name or date of death in the search fields, then select Search.
To clear the search and return to the full list:
- Clear the search fields by deleting the contents or selecting the Clear button
- Click the Search button
Mistakes on the cause of death
- We can't correct the cause of death, date of death or place of death without a written statement from the certifying medical practitioner or Coroner's Court.
- Our system will detect any discrepancies between the MCCD and the death registration. If this happens, we will follow up to detect and resolve the error.
If there is a delay with the cause of death certificate
When you submit a death registration, our system looks for a matching MCCD. We will follow up any outstanding MCCDs with the medical practitioner to ensure they are submitted.