Order certificates before submitting the death registration to BDM.
- Complete all mandatory information on the death registration form
- Save the form
- Order a certificate from:
- the button at the bottom of the form, or
- the Drafts list (select Request certificate to the right of the draft)
- Submit the death registration form to BDM
- Pay for the certificate from the submitted list
Fill in the certificate order form
- Provide the quantity and reason; click ‘Next’
- Fill in the delivery details > ‘Next’
- Fix any validation errors > ‘Next’
- Review the order details > ‘Save as draft’
If the death is known to be under coronial investigation, you can order an interim certificate from within the death registration form:
- In the Death certification section, select ‘Coroner’
- At the bottom of the form, select the ‘Order a certificate’ button and follow the prompts
Order an interim plus a standard certificate
- Order the interim certificate as described above
- Make a separate order for the standard certificate via ‘Certificate requests’ in the top menu.
Cancel a certificate order
Certificate orders cannot be cancelled after the death registration has been submitted.
From the Drafts list:
- Locate the item. It will have ‘Yes’ under ‘Certificate requested?’
- Click Delete certificate. You will be prompted to confirm.
Timeframes for certificate orders
Once the death is registered and we receive payment, the certificate is usually sent out the next day.