This information is for funeral directors. Not you? Read our general information about overseas deaths.
Interstate funeral directors
Funeral directors from interstate needing to register deaths in Victoria must create a BDM stakeholder account and submit an online death registration.
All deaths must be registered in the state where the person died. If a person died in the Murray River, this is considered to occur in NSW.
Overseas deaths (repatriation)
- Email email@example.com with the word REPAT in the subject line.
- For bodies that are delivered to the Coroner’s Court, attach a scan of the Release of Body to the email.
- The team monitors repatriations throughout the day, and will advise you when the certificate will be ready for collection.
Timeframes for collection
- Email before midday for collection the next business day.
- Requests after midday are issued in 2 business days. For example, a request on Thursday at 12.05pm is ready for collection on Monday.