The Victorian Marriage Registry offers elegant ceremonies at Melbourne's Old Treasury Building.
Our celebrants conduct civil ceremonies, ensure compliance and legal requirements, and prepare vows and declarations for stating on your wedding day.
All ceremonies take place at the heritage-listed Old Treasury Building on the corner of Spring and MacArthur streets, in the heart of Melbourne.
The venue is next door to the Treasury Gardens and is ideal for photographs. It's also close to city restaurants, bars and hotels for celebrations after your ceremony.
There are two ceremony rooms to choose from. Both are beautifully furnished with period-styled furniture and decorated with flowers and artwork (including prints kindly loaned by Port Jackson Press).
Room viewing times: 12.30–1.30pm every Thursday (excluding public holidays).
Margaret Craig room
- Perfect for ceremonies with friends and families
- Accommodates up to 55 guests
- Option to walk down the aisle.
Thomas Hyde room
- Perfect for intimate ceremonies
- Accommodates up to eight guests
- Doesn't accommodate walking down the aisle.
BDM's service includes a celebrant. Our team of celebrants provide a professional and warm ceremony.
There are two different ceremonies:
- Standard marriage service: a traditional ceremony with the option of a reading or poem.
- Alternative marriage service: a simple ceremony without readings.
Depending on the service you choose, the ceremony will take between 10 and 20 minutes.
Ceremonies can take place on weekdays or weekends.
Personalising your ceremony
If you book the standard ceremony, you're welcome to incorporate your own vows, reading and music. Email your preferences to email@example.com at least two weeks before your ceremony.
- Your personal vows can't be more than 150 words and must include "I call upon the people here present to witness that I (Name) take you (Name) to be my lawful wedded (wife/husband/spouse)".
- You may provide a short reading or poem (no more than 150 words) to be read by a family member or friend.
- The venue has a CD player, headphone and Bluetooth connectivity. You may choose any as per your preference. We do however recommend a CD as it is much simpler and easier to operate.
- A ring ceremony is optional. (You need to supply your own rings and ring cushions.)
You're legally required to have two witnesses at your ceremony to witness and sign the marriage certificate.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Can be a friend or family member
- Don't need to be Australian Citizens
- Don't have to provide proof of identity documents.
The Registry doesn't provide witnesses.
All ceremonies are in English. If either of you don't speak or understand English, you'll need to provide an interpreter.
- Can't be a family member
- Can't sign as a witness to the marriage
- Must be arranged before the ceremony.
If you're going to use an interpreter, notify us beforehand.
We don't provide or organise interpreters. If you need help finding an interpreter, contact the Translating and Interpreter Service (TIS)
If an interpreter is needed but isn't at the ceremony, the ceremony can't go ahead. Full re-booking fees apply.
What does your fee include?
Your ceremony fee includes:
Legal marriage ceremony
Commemorative marriage certificate
Standard (official) marriage certificate.
Once your marriage is registered, you can apply for a standard marriage certificate from BDM.