Check before you start
In most cases, you need to prove your identity to get products (such as certificates) from us. Most people prove their identity by providing certified copies of identity documents.
Common cause of delays
The most common cause of delays is not providing proof of identity. Our turnaround times don’t start until we receive your proof of identity documents.
When providing documents, you must get your copies certified by an authorised person . Uncertified copies or photos of documents will not be accepted and will result in delays.
This helps ensure we only release personal information to those with a genuine right to receive it. This keeps the personal information of Victorians accurate and secure.
How to provide documents
Prove your identity online
You might be offered a secure identity-checking service when completing your online application.
To learn what you'll need to do, please choose the service you’re applying for.
- Online proof of identity for recognised details (for people born outside Victoria)
- Online proof of identity for all other certificates
- Online proof of identity to change a name of a person born in Victoria
- Online proof of identity to change a record of sex
- Online proof of identity to register or revoke a relationship
If you can’t complete online proof of identity, you must provide identity documents.