The Victorian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) deals with highly confidential and sensitive information.

Our commitment to your privacy means that we need proof of identity for a lot of our services. Put simply, we're asking for evidence that you are who you say you are.

Identity theft is serious issue in Australia. Learn how to keep your documents safe and protect yourself. Protect your identity.

Acceptable documents

One of the easiest ways to prove your identity is by presenting your driver licence (if it confirms your residential address) and your Medicare card.

Sample drivers licenceSample medicare card

Alternatively, you can provide 3 documents, one from each of the lists below. All documents must be current.

If you're changing your name or your child's name, refer to the individual application forms for the documents you need to provide.

List 1 - Evidence showing both your photo and your signature

  • Australian driver licence (or learner permit)
  • Australian passport
  • Australian firearm licence
  • Overseas passport

If you can't provide a document from this list, provide two from List 2 and one from List 3

List 2 - Evidence showing that you live in the community

  • Medicare card
  • Credit card or ATM card
  • Australian security guard or crowd controller licence
  • Marriage Certificate issued by the Victorian Marriage Registry
  • Student or tertiary identity card
  • Australian Citizenship Certificate
  • Standard Birth Certificate issued in Australia
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs card
  • Working with Children Check card

List 3 - Evidence of your current residential address

  • Australian driver licence (or learner permit)
  • Utility account (including gas, water, electricity, mobile or home phone)
  • Rates notice
  • Centrelink concession card (Pension Concession Card, Health Care Card or Commonwealth Seniors Health Card)
  • Bank statement (including passbook, credit, savings or cheque accounts)
  • Current lease or tenancy agreement
  • Superannuation fund statement

Bank statements, utility accounts, rates notices or superannuation fund statements must have been issued within the last 12 months. Printed versions of online statements need to have an official company letterhead or be stamped and approved by that company.

Applying from outside Australia

If you live overseas you can provide equivalents to Australian documents, such as a foreign driver licence.

Certify your documents with an Australian consulate or embassy official, a Notary Public or a local member of police.

If any of your documents aren't in English, you'll also need a certified translation. We only accept translations from National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) (External link).

Applying for certificates for use overseas

Sometimes foreign governments require Australian documents to be legalised for use overseas. For example, they may request an apostille or authentication.

In Australia, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), through the Australian Passport Office in your capital city, can provide an apostille or authentication of BDM-issued certificates.

Refer to Smart Traveller (External link) or DFAT’s page on Apostilles, authentications and Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage (External link).

Applying on behalf of another adult (over 18)

You can apply on behalf of another adult, as long as you have third party authority or a statutory declaration that confirms this permission.

A statutory declaration includes the applicant's:

  • Current residential address
  • Daytime telephone number
  • Signature.

Download a third party authority form.

You also need to provide proof of identity for the applicant and yourself.

Certifying your documents

You can apply with either your original documents, or with certified photocopies of your documents. To apply with your original documents, visit our Customer Service Centre. Otherwise, you'll need to certify photocopies of your documents.

You can certify your documents by:

  1. Visiting a Justice Service Centre (External link)
  2. Visiting a police station and getting them certified by either a:
    • Sworn member of the police
    • Justice of the Peace.

Documents can't be certified by pharmacists, legal practitioners or other professionals.

Sending your documents to us

You can post certified copies of your documents to our mailing address.

Don't send original identity documents by mail, email or fax.

Online identity verification

BDM offers digital proof of identity to verify who you are. For more information about this see Proving your identity online.