This page explains how to change your name if you are:
  • An adult (over 18)
  • Born overseas and:
    • Living in Victoria for at least the last 12 months
    • Have the legal right to reside in Australia.
Not sure if you’re in the right place?
Pages about change of name: adult or child, born in Victoria or elsewhere
Person whose name is being changed Born in Victoria Born overseas Born interstate
Adult Adult born in Victoria Read this page Apply to the Registry in that state or territory (External link)
Child Child born in Victoria Child born overseas Apply to the Registry in that state or territory (External link)


Changing your name due to marriage, separation or divorce

Read Changing your name after marriage, separation or divorce if you want to change your family name:

  • To your spouse's family name
  • Back to your own family name.
You can change your name only once in a 12 month period and 3 times in your lifetime.

What you'll need to do

We'll ask you for the following information during the application process:

1. Your current details

At a minimum, we’ll ask you for:

  • Personal details, such as name and date of birth
  • A clear reason for the change of name
  • Credit history (if changing more than one name: for example, your first name and middle name)
  • Any previous names you've been known by.

2. Your chosen name

  • Chosen family name(s)
  • Chosen given name
  • Chosen other given name(s).

Generally, we accept most names. However, there are some names that aren’t allowed. See Naming restrictions.

3. Original certificate(s)

If you have changed your name before in Victoria, we ask you to return any previous change of name certificates before we can issue a new one.

If you don't have the original, you need to provide a statutory declaration (External link) explaining why. Learn more about how to digitise and upload documents.

4. Proof of your identity

Acceptable documents

One of the easiest ways to prove your identity is by presenting your driver licence (if it confirms your residential address) and your passport.


Example driver licence

Alternatively, you can provide your driver licence, Medicare card and bank card.

Example driver licenceExample Medicare cardExample bank card

There are other ways to prove your identity.

Documents must be current (not expired). If you cannot provide current photo identification, please contact us.

Any documents not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation. Learn more about the requirements for translated documents.

5. Proof of residence

You'll need to prove that you:

  1. Have the right to live in Australia
  2. Have been living in Victoria for at least the last 12 months
  3. Are known in the community.

You must provide one document for each requirement. At least one of these documents must state your place of birth.

Documents must be current (not expired).

a. Your right to live in Australia

A document issued by the Department of Home Affairs, for example:

  • Australian Citizenship Certificate
  • Australian visa (with overseas passport)
  • ImmiCard
  • Document for Travel to Australia

b. Living in Victoria for at least the last 12 months

Documents in this list must cover at least the last 12 months:

  • Utility accounts (for example, electricity, gas, water)
  • Bank statements (must show Victorian transactions)
  • Lease or tenancy agreement (joint name may be acceptable)
  • Confirmation of enrolment in a Victorian tertiary institution

c. Identity known in the community

  • Medicare card
  • Credit card or ATM card
  • Marriage certificate issued in Australia
  • Change of name certificate issued in Australia
  • Divorce certificate issued in Australia
  • Student or tertiary identity card
  • Australian security guard or crowd controller licence
  • Working with Children Check card

Get a certificate

Get a certificate when you change your name

When you change your name, you get a change of name certificate. It shows your:

  • New name
  • Former name.

The back of the certificate shows a history of the changes.

The certificate is valid for all legal and official purposes. You will need this certificate to update identity documents such as your driver licence and passport.

Get a certificate later

You can order another certificate later – for example if you lost it and need a replacement.
Get a change of name certificate (External link)

Timeframes and delivery

How long will it take?

Estimated time from when we receive a complete application with proof of identity:
Delivery method Standard service
Click and collect
595 Collins St, Melbourne
20 days
Australia Post
Registered post
26 days


Track the progress of your certificate (External link)

Delivery of multiple copies

If you order more than one copy of a certificate, how we package depends on the postage method:

  • Standard post – for security, we post each one certificate separately
  • Registered or Express Post – we post them together.

We'll post them all on the same day, but Australia Post may deliver them on different days.

Fees and payment

Change of name and certificate fees

20 days*
  • Change of name
  • Certificate
  • No extra processing fees

* Allow extra time if you choose to receive your certificate by post.

* Additional postage costs apply (see below).

The fees are non-refundable except as set out in our Refunds page.


We cannot refund postage fees if you decide to collect your certificate(s) in person.

Postage fees within Australia
Australia Price
Click and collect
595 Collins St Melbourne
Registered post (recommended)
Online tracking and compensation for loss or damage up to $100
Express post
Faster delivery
Standard post $1.00
Airmail  $3.70
Express Courier International $52.80

See Australia Post for more postage details (External link).

Payment methods

Check the Payment methods we accept

After the change

After you’ve changed your name

Update your documents

After you've changed your name, you must update your identity documents. These may include:

  • Driver licence
  • Immigration documents
  • Passport (Australian or another country)
  • Bank accounts
  • Electoral enrolment
  • Utility accounts
  • Superannuation
  • Insurance

Changing your name again

You should not change your legal name lightly. You can change your name only once in a 12 month period and 3 times in your lifetime.

If you want to change your name again, you will need to prove that you have been using this name for at least 12 months.