If you apply to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDM), all documents must be in English. If the originals are not in English, they must be translated into English.
- Any supporting documents (such as certificates)
- Any other documents we ask you to provide.
This is so that we can thoroughly assess the application or registration.
You are responsible for getting your documents translated into English.
The translator must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) .
Applicants in Australia
If you are in Australia, a NAATI translator must do the translation.
BDM may accept a document translated into English if it meets all the following conditions:
- It was translated by an official of an Embassy, Consulate or High Commission
- The official is authorised to provide the translation
- The translated document:
- Includes the official stamp and accreditation of the translator
- Is certified to be an exact translation of the original document.
If exceptional circumstances prevent you from getting documents translated by a NAATI translator, please contact us.
For more information contact us.