1. Get a NOIM form

You can get a NOIM:

2. Complete the form

On the NOIM, you'll be asked to fill in your conjugal status to show whether you've been married before. Fill in your status as:

Never validly married: if you've never been married or your marriage was annulled. (Don't use 'single' as it doesn't indicate whether you've been married before.)

Divorced: if you've been married and divorced.

Divorce pending: if you have commenced divorce proceedings to end your marriage.

Widowed: if you've been married and your spouse passed away.

3. Lodge the form

Lodge the form:

  • With the celebrant, minister or registrar who'll perform the marriage
  • At least one month before your wedding
  • Up to 18 months before your wedding.

Lodging your NOIM less than a month before your wedding

Under limited, exceptional circumstances, you may be able to marry less than one month after lodging your NOIM.

To do this, you need to apply to shorten the notice period. A $50 assessment fee applies, which is non-refundable even if the shortening isn't granted.

You can apply to:

  • The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDM)
  • Registrars and deputy registrars at major regional Victorian courts.

To apply to BDM, you need to:

  • Have already lodged a NOIM with your celebrant (or are lodging it with the Victorian Marriage Registry).
  • Provide your original signed NOIM and supporting documents, as sighted by your celebrant
  • Meet one of the exceptional circumstances (External link)
  • Complete a Notice shortening application form, which includes a statutory declaration explaining your reason(s) for applying.
  • Provide documents as evidence to support your application, and
  • Provide a signed letter from your celebrant, confirming they're willing and available to perform your marriage on your chosen date if the shortening is granted.