Restrictions are in place to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) and save lives. Find out more about our services during COVID-19. For information about coronavirus (COVID-19), visit the coronavirus.vic.gov.au website .
You need to book your ceremony with the Victorian Marriage Registry at least one month before your intended wedding date. We recommend booking at least 3 months in advance, particularly during the peak summer period.
When you book, you'll go through these steps.
1. Create an account
When you click ‘Book’, you’ll need to set up an account. An account lets us contact you, or you contact us, with any queries about your wedding.
2. Choose your date, time and room
3. Complete the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)
Our online booking system will take you through the process of filling in the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM). The law requires that you provide us a signed and witnessed Notice of Intended Marriage at least one month before your wedding date.
Alternatively you can download the NOIM form from the Attorney General's website .
Once you've filled in your details, you must:
- Print it
- Both sign it in front of an authorised witness
- Attach it to your booking (read more about Uploading hard copy documents online)
You must attach the signed, witnessed NOIM at least one month before your wedding date for the wedding to proceed.
For more information, see Lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM).
4. Supply proof of identity
You and your partner will need to provide certified copies of either:
- An official birth certificate and current photo ID (passport or driver licence)
- A current Australian or foreign passport showing date and place of birth.
If you can't get the above documents, you'll need to complete a statutory declaration . The statutory declaration must include:
- Why it's not possible to obtain an official birth certificate or extract
- Where you were born (country, state and city)
- When you were born (full date dd/mm/yyyy)
- Your parents' full names, including mother's maiden name.
Documents in languages other than English need to be translated by a NAATI translator
5. Pay and get confirmation
At the end of the booking process, you'll get:
- A payment receipt
- An interim confirmation. We'll check everything, such as that you have met the legal requirements for a Notice of Intended Marriage. If we need more details, we'll contact you.
Your marriage ceremony booking will show as ‘Incomplete’ in your account until we’ve checked everything and sent you confirmation.
Once we've verified your documents, we'll process your booking and send you confirmation of your wedding ceremony.
If you haven't received confirmation or are having difficulties with your booking, let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
Rescheduling or cancelling
Rescheduling your booking
To change the time and date of your booking, log in to 'My items '.
Click the Reschedule button and select your new date, time or room.
Cancelling your booking
To cancel your booking,email us at email@example.com and let us know the following information:
- Both parties' full names
- Your daytime telephone number
- The date and time of your wedding.
If you cancel 45 days or more before your wedding date, you'll receive a partial refund of your booking fee (minus an administrative fee).
If you cancel your wedding less than 45 days before your wedding date, there's no refund.
For more information, see Fees.