- How to book your wedding ceremony
- Rescheduling or cancelling
All weddings at the Victorian Marriage Registry follow the Victorian COVIDSafe Settings .
On this page
How to book your wedding ceremony
You need to book your ceremony with the Victorian Marriage Registry at least one month before your intended wedding date. We recommend booking at least three months in advance, particularly during the peak summer period.
When you book, you'll go through these steps.
1. Create an account
When you click ‘Book’, you’ll need to set up an account. An account lets us contact you, or you contact us, with any queries about your wedding.
2. Choose your date, time and room
Learn more about our ceremony rooms.
3. Complete the details of parties to the marriage
You will be asked to enter the following details for both people getting married:
- Full legal name (as written on your passport or birth certificate)
- Date and place of birth
- Conjugal status (never validly married, divorced, divorce pending or widowed)
- Residential address
- Parents’ details (if known)
- Details of previous marriage (if applicable).
4. Upload supporting documents
You will need to upload documents to support your booking.
Proof of identity documents
You and your partner will both need to provide:
- A current passport (Australian or foreign)
- Both of the following:
- An official birth certificate or official birth extract; and
- Current government-issued photo ID. Acceptable photo ID includes Driver Licence or Proof of Age card.
Termination of previous marriage
If either of you has been married before you must provide:
- Original divorce certificate, or
- Full death certificate.
If your documents are in languages other than English, you’ll need to:
- Get them translated by a NAATI translator
- Upload the translations along with the originals.
If you don’t have these documents available, you can upload them after you submit your booking.
Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)
The law says you must provide us a signed and witnessed Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) at least one month before your wedding date.
To do this:
1. Complete the NOIM. To do this, you can either:
- Follow the steps in our online booking system, then print your pre-filled NOIM at the end of your booking, or
- Download a blank NOIM form from the Attorney-General's website and fill in the hard copy form.
2. Get the completed NOIM signed and witnessed by an authorised person.
3. Scan/photograph it and upload it to your booking.
5. Pay and get confirmation
At the end of the booking process, you'll get:
- A payment receipt
- An interim confirmation. We'll check everything, such as that you have met the legal requirements for a Notice of Intended Marriage. If we need more details, we'll contact you.
Your marriage ceremony booking will show as ‘Incomplete’ in your account. We'll check everything and send you confirmation.
Once we've verified your documents, we'll process your booking and send you confirmation of your wedding ceremony.
If you don't receive confirmation, or have difficulties with your booking, let us know. Email email@example.com .
Rescheduling or cancelling
Rescheduling your booking
To change the time, date or type of booking, log in to 'My items '.
Click the Reschedule button and select your new date, time, room or type of ceremony.
Cancelling your booking
To cancel your booking, log in to 'My items '.
Click the Cancel Ceremony button and confirm your cancellation request.
If you cancel 35 days or more before your wedding date, you'll receive a partial refund of your booking fee (minus an administrative fee).
If you cancel your wedding less than 35 days before your wedding date, there's no refund.
For more information, see Fees.