At the Victorian Marriage Registry, we understand that you may wish to add personal touches to your marriage ceremony.
We offer two different civil ceremonies:
- The standard marriage service, which includes extended vows and the option of a reading
- The alternative marriage service, a simple ceremony.
If you choose the standard ceremony, you're welcome to add your own vows, readings and music. Please let us know at least two weeks before your ceremony.
To send us your preferences:
- If you booked online: click 'reply' to your confirmation email
- If you booked by phone or in person: email email@example.com .
Include your full names and ceremony date with your email.
Your wedding vows
At the heart of your ceremony are the legal vows:
"I call upon the people here present to witness that I (Name) take you (Name) to be my lawful wedded (wife/husband/spouse)".
You must both make these vows for the marriage to be legal under Australian law.
You can make additions to these vows, up to 150 words.
One of your family members or friends may read a poem or short reading. This may be up to 150 words.
Music can add atmosphere and personal meaning into your ceremony.
Our rooms have CD players, headphone and Bluetooth connectivity. You are welcome to bring your own Bluetooth speaker.
The Margaret Craig Room also has a piano. (You will need your own pianist.)
If you wish to include music in your ceremony, we recommend:
- Before the day, ask a family member or friend to help with music during your ceremony. This is a great way to involve them on your special day. It also lets you focus on your ceremony while they take care of the music
- Bring a CD with your songs in playing order. This is the simplest and most trouble-free option.
Let your celebrant know on the day if you will be including music in your ceremony.
A ring ceremony is optional in both our standard and alternative services.
You need to supply your own rings and ring boxes or cushions.
More about the ceremony
Read more about what will happen on the day, including what you need to bring.