Resources for parents
The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) provides resources to help parents register a birth. Parents can register their baby online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
To support parents, hospitals can:
- Include the parent information sheet about online birth registration in parent packs
- Print and give the stillbirth or the death of a baby information sheet to bereaved parents (They should also get the information sheet that all parents receive.)
- Keep some paper birth registration forms for parents who are unable to register a birth online.
Parents must register a birth within 60 days. Registering a birth is free.
Parents need to register their baby to get a birth certificate. They can purchase a certificate when registering the birth, or later.
Birth certificates help parents and children access important services such as:
- Government services and payments
- A passport
- A driver’s licence
- A tax file number when they’re older.
Information about birth registration is available in languages other than English.
To reorder hard copies of parent information sheets, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Parents or hospitals can call BDM on 1300 369 367.