- How to book your wedding ceremony
- Rescheduling or cancelling
All weddings at the Victorian Marriage Registry follow the Victorian COVIDSafe Settings (External link).
On this page
How to book your wedding ceremony
You need to book your ceremony with the Victorian Marriage Registry at least one month before your intended wedding date.
We recommend booking at least three months in advance, particularly during the peak summer period.
When you book, you'll go through these steps.
1. Create an account
When you click ‘Book’, you’ll need to set up an account. An account lets us contact you, or you contact us, with any queries about your wedding.
2. Choose your date, time and room
Learn more about our ceremony rooms.
3. Complete the details of parties to the marriage
You will be asked to enter your personal details.
4. Upload supporting documents
You will need to upload documents to support your booking.
You and your partner will both need to provide the following documents:
- Your Australian or foreign passport stating your place of birth
If you don’t have a passport, please provide both of the following:
- Your original birth certificate, and
- Current government-issued photo identification. Acceptable photo ID includes driver licence or proof of age card
- If you’ve been married before, evidence that the marriage has ended:
- Divorce certificate, or
- Death certificate.
If your documents are in languages other than English, you’ll need to:
- Get them translated by a NAATI translator (External link)
- Upload the translations along with the originals.
If you don’t have these documents available, you can upload them after you submit your booking.
Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)
The law says you must provide us a signed and witnessed Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) at least one month before your wedding date.
To do this:
- Complete the NOIM. To do this, you can either:
- Follow the steps in our online booking system, then print your pre-filled NOIM at the end of your booking, or
- Download a blank NOIM form from the Attorney-General's website (External link) and fill in the hard copy form.
- Get the completed NOIM signed and witnessed by an authorised person
- Scan/photograph it and upload it to your booking.
The NOIM must be signed in the physical presence of an authorised witness. Signatures on the NOIM must match your identity documents.
The NOIM can be witnessed by one of the following only:
- Member of the police force
- Justice of the peace
- Barrister or solicitor
- Medical practitioner.
Other personnel are not authorised to sign a NOIM. Pharmacists, dentists, nurses, accountants and veterinarians are not authorised to sign a NOIM.
NOIMs signed overseas must be witnessed by:
- An Australian Consular Officer
- An Australian Diplomatic Officer
- A notary public.
5. Pay and get confirmation
At the end of the booking process, you'll get:
- A payment receipt
- An interim confirmation. We'll check that you have met the legal requirements for a Notice of Intended Marriage. If we need more details, we'll contact you.
Your marriage ceremony booking will show as ‘Incomplete’ in your account. We'll check everything and send you confirmation.
Book your wedding ceremony (External link)
Once we've verified your documents, we'll process your booking and send you confirmation.
If you don't receive confirmation, or have difficulties with your booking, let us know. Email email@example.com (External link).
Rescheduling or cancelling
Rescheduling your booking
To change the time, date or type of booking
- Log in to 'My items (External link)'
- Click the Reschedule button
- Select your new date, time, room or type of ceremony.
Cancelling your booking
To cancel your booking
- Log in to 'My items (External link)'
- Click the Cancel Ceremony button
- Confirm your cancellation request.
If you cancel 45 days or more before your wedding date, you'll receive a partial refund of your booking fee (minus an administrative fee).
If you cancel your wedding less than 45 days before your wedding date, there's no refund.
If you have previously rescheduled your ceremony, there is no refund. This applies even if you cancel your booking more than 45 days before your ceremony date.
For more information, see Fees.