The Victorian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) deals with highly confidential and sensitive information.

Our commitment to your privacy means that we need proof of identity for a lot of our services. Put simply, we're asking for evidence that you are who you say you are.

Identity theft is serious issue in Australia. Learn how to keep your documents safe and protect yourself. Protect your identity.

Acceptable documents

One of the easiest ways to prove your identity is by presenting your driver licence (if it confirms your residential address) and your Passport.

Example driver licenceExample passport

Alternatively, you can provide your driver licence, medicare card and bank card.

Example driver licenceExample Medicare cardExample bank card

If you are unable to provide these documents, you must provide documents from the lists below.

You can provide documents using either of the following options:

  • 2 documents from list 1, or
  • Any 3 listed documents with no more than 1 from each list.

All documents must be current.

List 1 List 2 List 3 List 4
Australian driver licence or learner permit Firearm licence Australian birth certificate *Bank statement (issued within last 12 months) (passbook, credit, savings or cheque account)
Australian passport Foreign passport Australian change of name certificate Centrelink card (Pension Concession, Health Care or Commonwealth Seniors Health Card)
ImmiCards Security guard/crowd control licence Australian citizenship certificate Credit or debit card
  Tertiary education institution (with photo) ID card Australian marriage certificate Department of Veterans Affairs card
  Working with children check card Medicare card *Utility account for (issued within last 12 months) gas, water, electricity, mobile or home phone
    Visa verification Lease agreements (issued within last 12 months)
      Rates notice (issues within last 12 months)
      *Superannuation fund statement (issued within last 12 months)

*If you submit printed online bank, superannuation or utility statements they must contain an official company letterhead or be stamped and approved by the bank, superannuation fund or utility company.

If you're changing your name or your child's name, refer to Change your name or Change your child's name for the documents you need to provide.

Applying from outside Australia

If you live overseas you can provide equivalents to Australian documents, such as a foreign driver licence.

Certify your documents with an Australian consulate or embassy official, a Notary Public or a local member of police.

If any of your documents aren't in English, you'll also need a certified translation. We only accept translations from National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) (External link).

Applying for certificates for use overseas

Sometimes foreign governments require Australian documents to be legalised for use overseas. For example, they may request an apostille or authentication.

In Australia, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), through the Australian Passport Office in your capital city, can provide an apostille or authentication of BDM-issued certificates.

Refer to Smart Traveller (External link) or DFAT’s page on Apostilles, authentications and Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage (External link).

Applying on behalf of another adult (over 18)

You can apply on behalf of another adult, as long as you have a letter that confirms this permission.

A letter includes the applicant's:

  • Current residential address
  • Daytime telephone number
  • Signature.

You also need to provide proof of identity for the applicant and yourself.

Certifying your documents

You can apply with either your original documents, or with certified photocopies of your documents. To apply with your original documents, visit our Customer Service Centre. Otherwise, you'll need to certify photocopies of your documents.

You can certify your documents by:

  1. Visiting a Justice Service Centre (External link)
  2. Visiting a police station and getting them certified by either a:
    • Sworn member of the police
    • Justice of the Peace.

Documents can't be certified by pharmacists, legal practitioners or other professionals.

Sending your documents to us

You can post certified copies of your documents to our mailing address.

Don't send original identity documents by mail, email or fax.

Online identity verification

BDM offers digital proof of identity to verify who you are. For more information about this see Proving your identity online.