The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDM) is involved in some of the most significant moments in the lives of Victorians. We work hard to provide a helpful and empathetic service and take pride in the records we keep for you, the Victorian community.
BDM is responsible for:
- Recording all births, adoptions, marriages and deaths in Victoria
- Registering all domestic and caring relationships in Victoria
- Registering name changes for those born or living in Victoria
- Issuing certificates for all the above
- Offering a civil marriage service through the Victorian Marriage Registry.
We also offer some of our records to people looking to trace their family history, as well as provide data services to government agencies, universities and medical institutions for research and planning purposes.