If you believe there's an error on your relationship certificate, you can apply to have it corrected. All applications are subject to an assessment.

You can only apply to correct your own relationship certificate.

What we need from you

We'll ask you for the following information during the application process:

1. Details of the people on the certificate

As a minimum, for each person, we ask for:

  • Given name and family name
  • Date and place of birth.

2. The original certificate

We ask that you return the original relationship certificate before we can issue a new corrected version.

If you don't have the original, you need to provide a Statutory Declaration (External link) explaining why you cannot surrender the original certificate. Learn more about how to digitise and upload documents.

You'll need to apply for a new relationship certificate once we've corrected the record. There is no fee for this if you return the original certificate. 

If the original relationship certificate is returned, we issue a replacement certificate free of charge. If the original isn't returned, there is a fee for the new certificate.

3. Evidence to support the correction

The evidence we ask for depends on the correction you want to make.

For documents in a language other than English, provide an English translation by a qualified translator. Approved translators can be found at naati.com.au (External link) or by contacting Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 1450.

4. Proof of your identity

Acceptable documents

One of the easiest ways to prove your identity is by presenting your driver licence (if it confirms your residential address) and your Passport.

Example driver licenceExample passport

Alternatively, you can provide your driver licence, medicare card and bank card.

Example driver licenceExample Medicare cardExample bank card

Alternatively, there are other ways to prove your identity.

Evidence required

The evidence listed below covers the most common correction requests. If you can't provide the evidence listed, send the best evidence you have available.

If we hold the evidence (e.g. a birth certificate) you don't need to provide a copy of it.

Correction Acceptable evidence

Any name on the certificate

Provide evidence of correct name:

Australian born:

  • Birth certificate

Overseas born:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Citizenship certificate or Australian visa.

If you can't prove the use of the corrected name from birth, a change of name is needed, rather than a correction. Likewise, additions and removals of given names need a change of name. See Change a name.

Date or place of birth

Evidence of correct date or place of birth:

  • Australian birth certificate
  • Overseas birth certificate, or
  • Overseas passport.

Processing and delivery

How long will it take for a corrected certificate to be issued?

Processing start date Processing time Pick up/delivery
Date received

Full application
with proof of identity and evidence

20 working days

Standard processing

595 Collins Street


6 days
Australia post

Fees and payments

If the original relationship certificate is returned If the original relationship certificate IS NOT returned
No fee $33.80

The price of a standard relationship certificate applies

Postage fees

Shipping fees cannot be refunded if you decide to collect your certificate(s) in person.

Postage - see Australia Post (External link) for product details Price



Registered post (recommended)

Standard post/Handling $1.00

Express post

Note: This is not a priority service fee - standard Turnaround times still apply.


Outside Australia

Airmail (Standard post) $3.80
Express Courier International $54.10

Check the Payment methods we accept.