In most cases, both parents on the birth certificate need to complete the application. When you apply:
- Parent 1 completes their part
- Parent 1 attaches consent from the child, if applicable
- We will email Parent 2 to complete their part.
If you can’t apply online, contact BDM and request a paper change of name form.
We'll ask you for the following:
1. Your details
At minimum, we'll ask you for:
- Your child's name, date of birth and place of birth
- Your name and address
- Name and address of the second parent (if applicable)
- A clear reason for the change of name
- Any previous names your child has been known by.
2. The chosen name
- Chosen family name
- Chosen given (first) name
- Chosen given (middle) name(s).
Generally, we accept most names that parents choose for their child. However, both parents need to agree on the name and there are some names that aren't allowed.
See Naming your child.
3. The original certificate
We ask you to return your child’s birth certificate before we can issue a new one.
If you don't have the original, you need to provide a statutory declaration explaining why. Learn more about how to digitise and upload documents.
4. Proof of your identity
You may be able to prove your identity online. If not, you can still prove your identity by mailing certified copies to us.
Both parents on the birth certificate need to prove their identity. One of the easiest ways to prove your identity is by presenting your driver licence (if it confirms your residential address) and your passport.
If you send documents to us by mail, they must be certified copies.
- Don't send original identity documents by mail
- Don't send uncertified copies - we can't accept them.
Learn more about how to prove your identity.
Documents must be current (not expired). We accept Australian passports that are current or expired less than 3 years.
If you cannot provide current photo identification, please contact us.
5. Proof of parentage
Your child’s Victorian birth certificate, naming you as a parent, is all you need. You need to send us the original, not a copy.
When you apply, please take care to provide correct details.
Enter details exactly as you want them on the certificate. This includes spelling and capitalisation (e.g. Name).
Remember to review the sections before you submit.
You may have to pay to correct a mistake or get a replacement certificate. Additional wait times will apply.